This topic may be cliché to many individuals because probably only a newborn child does not know how vital water is. I am confident that 99.99% of the world’s population agree that water is one of the major factors to sustain life and promoting a robust lifestyle. Indeed, we are bombarded with the ideas of when to drink water and how many glasses a day. But I doubt that the same percentage of the population can determine the incorrect ways in drinking water. Yes! Directions about the correct consumption of water also exist and ignoring them may be hazardous even though we are overconfident that we do drink a lot.
So what are the precise methods of drinking water?
- Throughout the day, drink little by little but in hourly proportions. Sips of water throughout the day is better than drinking three glasses in one minute. Doing this may provide your body an ample time to absorb it. It is highly discouraged to drink an immense amount of water all at once because the heart may be stressed out and that will be detrimental most especially to individuals with cardiac cases.
- Drink water upon waking up. It does not mean that because we are in slumber land, our water content in our body is not decreasing. Drink prior to going to sleep and another glass when you wake up. Attaining this may excrete the toxins in your body that have accumulated while you were hitting the Z’s.
- Drink 8 to 10 glasses a day. This could be another overheard discussion; however, people tend to know the superficial contents only. So to delve more with this instruction, the glasses of water that an individual needs in one day really vary on his body weight. To exemplify, a 120-pound individual needs approximately 8 cups of water in one day while someone weighing 200 pounds may require as much as 12 cups daily. In the case of elderly citizens, 5 to 6 glasses per day would suffice. It is also the person’s responsibility to monitor the color of his urine and maintain normal amber yellow in color. That is why, never exceed to more than 16 cups in one day.
- Drink water, even if you are not thirsty. In order not to be left behind by the required number of glasses of water per day, it is wise to have a sip of water even if you are not parched. Keep this in mind, by the time that you will feel thirsty, you are already behind by two glasses. However, don’t make it up by drinking two glasses all at once because that will give your heart so much work.
- Be a good model to the youngsters and drink water en masse. Letting the youth see you drinking water will influence them to emulate your right actions.
- Set limitations in drinking alcoholic beverages, sodas, coffee and other caffeinated drinks. Although not yet confirmed, some researchers believe that sodas and coffees can lead to dehydration. Everyone has experienced frequent urination when drinking alcohol, thus, could also lead to fluid loss.
- Increase water content during warm temperatures. Individuals residing in places with warm ambiances are at higher risk in developing kidney stones compared to those dwelling in cold places.
- Increase water content when performing moderate to strenuous physical activities. The rate of fluid loss is heightened when performing activities that require several body movements such as having an exercise. To compensate, try to increment your maximum water content to half a liter when doing that activity.
- Increase water content when you are pregnant. It is recommended for a pregnant woman to drink approximately 10 cups of water daily for hydration maintenance. For breastfeeding women, 13 cups would be enough.
- Increase water content when you are not feeling well. Yes, even I feel disgusted to drink water when I’m sick, but to prevent infection, drinking more is still advisable. Do not reach to a point where complications may arise due to dehydration.
- Drink water to elude nephrolithiasis (kidney stones). Insufficient amount of water leads to the formation of crystals or stones in the kidney. Therefore, drinking enough cups would help excrete the stones through the urine.
- Water maintains softness and radiance of the skin. If you try to observe someone who is dehydrated, you would be able to notice the wrinkled skin and the sunken eyes. So when you are hydrated enough, your physique will manifest a normal and elegant skin tone.
- Water assists proper weight loss. Drinking at least 2 glasses of water before meal will make you feel full. Therefore, the amount of food that you will be eating will be lessened. Remember, water has no calories at all.
- Water can heal urinary tract infection. Drinking an ample amount of water assists you in excreting the detrimental microbes through urination.
- Water prevents dehydration to individuals experiencing diarrhea. Sometimes, diarrhea cannot be avoided. However, it is your duty to compensate for the immense amount of fluid loss by drinking extra amount of water.
- Water obviates constipation and its possible complication. The primary purpose of our large intestines aside from being a passageway for our stools to pass by is also to absorb enough water to soften the stools. Nonetheless, insufficient amount of water could harden the stools. If untreated, condition may worsen and can lead to hemorrhoids and intestinal obstructions.
- Water decreases fever. Water can assist the body to lower its temperature by urination where the extra heat of the body is taken out.
- Water abets in treating colds and coughs. With the assistance of water, viscous phlegm will loosen and will be facile to expectorate. I believe that water is just as good as the expectorants.
- Water maintains attentiveness, alertness and being energetic. With low amount of fluid in the body, blood becomes thicker resulting to a harder circulation making the brain feel tired and gives the individual a lesser amount of energy.
It is not expected to remember all of these vital things with regards to what water can do. However, all you have to keep in mind is when drinking the sufficient amount of water correctly in one day, it is plausible that we way attain amazing results because of water alone.