A Pakistani national has been convicted over his role in the deadly 2008 Mumbai (Bombay) attacks by an Indian court.
Mohammad Ajmal Amir Qasab, 22, the sole surviving gunman, was found guilty on charges including murder, waging war on India and possessing explosives.
The attacks left 174 people – including nine gunmen – dead, and soured ties between India and Pakistan.
India’s home minister said the verdict was a message to Pakistan that it should not “export terrorism to India”.
India blames Pakistan-based militants Lashkar-e-Taiba for the attacks.
After initial denials, Pakistan acknowledged that the attacks had been partially planned on its territory and that Qasab was one of its citizens.
Two Indian men – Fahim Ansari and Sabahuddin Ahmed – who were accused of helping the gunmen plan the attacks, were acquitted by the presiding judge at the court in Mumbai.
The judge will begin hearing arguments about sentencing on Tuesday. The prosecution is seeking the death penalty for Qasab.
Qasab’s 271-day trial was conducted amid tight security in a purpose-built court on the jail premises in Mumbai where he was being held.
Closed-circuit TV evidence showed Kasab and an accomplice opening fire on passengers at one of Mumbai’s busiest train stations, an assault that left dozens of people dead.
Over the past 14 months, the trial witnessed a number of twists and turns. Qasab originally denied the charges against him but last July, in a dramatic outburst in court, he admitted his role and asked to be hanged. He later retracted this plea, saying he had been tortured by police into making it, and the trial continued.
In November, the main lawyer representing Qasab – who was arrested on the first day of the attacks – was removed from the case after the judge said he was delaying proceedings.
Late last year, Pakistan charged seven people in connection with the attacks, including the suspected mastermind Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, who is alleged to head Lashkar-e-Taiba.