Automation testing has become the norm for many QA testing companies in the past few years, but its impact in some of the more recent technology domains like the Internet of Things is still to be seen. IoT annual growth has been substantial in the past few years and with 50 billion units in 2020, the time for testing companies to shift their focus on it is now. But as IoT varies in functionality to traditional software, testing methods and strategies need to be shifted accordingly.
Already, the benefits of automated testing can be seen in IoT. It has allowed for the most development of the most significant part of it and testing methods are evolving to ensure its efficient running too.
Why is Test Automation at the forefront of IoT?
Automation testing stands out among the foremost flexible and lightweight approaches to IoT application development. Test automation contains a family of agile methodologies where the key principles are communication, integrity, teamwork and also as thinking to constantly adjust and enhance the method.
The developers have to roll out improvements on the prevailing application or interface the new application to an existing application where automation testing proves to be vital.
Here are the top 3 benefits of IoT testing:
- A Business’s Future Perspective: IoT Testing provides a combined approach to validate the functional and non-functional requirements of IoT solutions. It thus modernizes the business by assuring compatibility, performance, and security testing.
- Better Engagement: IoT Testing guarantees that end-users get a top-notch user experience across various channels (device, web, mobile).
- Faster Time-to-Market: IoT Testing assures speedy time-to-market by utilizing early automation.
Major Challenges in IoT Testing:
- The growing number of applications under development continuously extends to the IoT ecosystem. With such fast development, organizations have to make sure that these applications are thoroughly and constantly tested with test management tools before being deployed during this connected world of IoT devices.
- Therefore, the role of a software tester becomes crucial intrinsically as the installation includes testing hardware and software, and therefore the connectivity which helps in transmitting IoT data in real-time and enormous amounts of intelligence.
- It becomes important to consider the challenges related to IoT Testing before we expect an IoT Testing framework that might be shown to be effective.
Automation Testing – An Intuitive and Reliable Match for IoT Applications
The primary goal of automation testing in IoT applications is to plan and promote a typical industry framework for agile software delivery without IoT. The dynamic system development method alongside automation testing offers complete support for planning, managing, implementing, and balancing agile methods and continuous software development projects. The testing methods and methodology are supported by some key principles that include market price, authorized teams, effective user involvement, rapid delivery, integrated testing and stakeholder association. During this agile development methodology, specifications are defined initially within the project and rework is incorporated into the method.
IoT setups comprise a varied blend of components like Applications, Sensors, Gateways, Networks, and Data Centers. Hence, it seems to be crucial for QA testing companies to manage different types of testing that require to be run on these different IoT elements. Needless to mention, not all kinds of testing are suitable for various IoT elements and all sorts of test management tools are employed.
As the IoT trend emerges rapidly alongside various IoT components, automated testing has emerged as more of a requirement instead of an alternate. A QA testing company would require time and expertise to affect the presence of moving parts within the subtle IoT environment. Rather than simply gauging whether a system is functional or not, software testers have to verify if a tool is secure and active in usual or unusual situations.